Fall is an exciting time of the year when football is in the air and the temperatures finally start becoming cooler. But here in Gulfport Ms. we need to be aware that this is the time of the year our unwanted pests find refuge for the cold winter ahead. The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) reminds homeowners of the importance that fall pest-proofing can play in keeping pests from making their home in yours.
Rodents can carry diseases that we need to keep away from yourselves and our family. These diseases include Salmonella and Hantavirus. These pests can also cause structural damage to y our property by gnawing through wires, which can cause house fires. They also can make nests in our home’s insulation.
The following recommendations to pest proof your home were made by the National Pest Management Association
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors and repair damaged screens.
- Screen vents and openings to chimneys.
- Seal cracks and crevices on the outside of the home, including areas where utilities and pipes enter.
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly in sealed receptacles.
- Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around the basement foundation and windows.
- Eliminate all moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house; keep shrubbery well-trimmed.’
- If you find any evidence of pest infestation, you should contact a professional licensed pest control company to inspect, identify and treat the problem.
If you need an inspector help getting rid of unwanted pests or animals in Gulfport, Ms., please call us at Southern Pest Control. Our highly experienced technicians will be glad to inspect your ho me, treat it and make recommendations to help you keep pests out all winter. Please call us at 800 527-9832 if we can help.