Well Summer is almost over. But the Hurricane season is just about to hit its peak time of the year. For us in the Southeast Hurricanes are a major concern. Hurricanes bring rain, flooding and dangerously high winds.
In the event of a hurricane, your first concern is the safety of your family and the protection of your property. Did you know, however, that hurricane damage can trigger serious pest concerns? Here are the conditions and types of pests commonly found after a hurricane.
The severity of the hurricane damage to your home is a huge factor in determining which pests will make an appearance. It also determines the severity of the pest infestation.
- Structural damage, like roof damage, broken windows and weakened structures, could cause birds, rodents, and other wife life to find a way to get into your home.
- Standing water and leaking pipes can cause mosquitoes to find a damp moist place to breed.
- Piles of debris can cause insects and rodents to burrow their way into piles of clutter.
Here are the most common pests found after a hurricane
- Mice & rats
You should know what to do to minimize pest problems after the storm has passed and your family is safe.
- Make sure all entry ways are sealed and closed properly, that all windows close well. This will help to keep creatures out.
- Get rid of all debris and don’t allow it to pile up creating a pest friendly environment.
- Dry out or remove any furniture that has been soaked by the rain or flooding as a result of the storm. Pests like to hide in damp places. You need to check for the dampness on all furnishings in your home.
- Remove all tree branches or broken trees and stumps as far from your home as possible to keep pests from utilizing them to gain entrance into your home.
The key is outsmarting pests by removing pest friendly environments.
We at Southern Pest Control hope and pray that none of us have to face a major hurricane here at the end of the season. Whether it be due to a storm or just a typical pest problem, please remember we have been serving the Gulf Coast Region for over 37 years. Our team of trained professionals can insure you that we can rid your home or office of any unwanted pests safely. Please visit our website at www.southernpestcontrol.biz to meet our team and review all the services we offer.