Summer brings fun, sun, and—unfortunately—lots of annoying bugs. If you’ve got the pests that come with the season, you don’t have to go through great lengths to rid your home of them. Here is a DIY method and inexpensive tools to help with that wwwcontinuous pest THE FLY.
Of all the fly catching options, I love the fly funnel trap the best. It doesn’t look gross, you can put it on any surface, and it takes only about 5-10 minutes to make. The trap consists of a paper funnel that leads flies down into a cup or mug of some kind. Inside, they’ll find honey, sugar, or even old fruit. Anything sweet will work, but honey requires the smallest amount of surface area. I’ve also found it attracts more flies than the other options. Of course, you’ll save on clean up time with sugar and fruit. Once the flies go through the funnel, they can’t figure out how to leave. They’ll soon die and then you can empty out your trap. To make one, just follow these steps:
- Pick a cup. Taller cups work best.
- Get a sheet of 8.5×11 paper and twist it into a funnel leaving a hole bigger than a fly at the bottom.
- Holding the paper cone in place, lower it into the cup to make sure it only sits about half way in. You can go down farther, but the more room you leave under the cone the more sweets you can fit in the cup.
- Remove the cone and tape the edge so it holds its shape.
- Fill the bottom of the cup with honey or whatever sweet you prefer
- Put the cone back in the cup and place the cup near your fly problem.
Flies won’t suddenly flock to your new trap, and if you have a lot of ground to cover you’ll probably need at least three traps. Make the number you require, then wait 24-48 hours. In due time, the flies will find their way inside the cup and die.
We your friends at Southern Pest Control hope this information was helpful. Pleases remember when you have unwanted pests or animal problems our expert technicians are there to help. Just call our office at 800 527-9832 to set up a free estimate inspection. We have been serving the Gulf Coast for over 35 years. Please visit our website at www.southernpestcontrol.biz to meet our team and learn more about our services