The Summer is still here and very hot. But remember Fall is not far off. It is a favorite season from many as it signals the beginning of a colorful leaves and cooler weather. But for many unwanted pests including rodents, spiders and cockroaches the change of season indicates the need to find refuge from the cold winter ahead.
These rodents carry salmonella and hantavirus and can cause structural damage to property by gnawling through wire, which can cause house fires, and nesting in insulation. Cockroaches also can spread diseases and their droppings and saliva can trigger asthma attacks especially in young children. The brown recluse spider will bite if threatened injecting venom that could be dangerous for those with allergenic reactions.
Here are some recommendations for this coming fall to pest proof your home
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors and repair damaged screens
- Screen vents and openings to chimneys
- Eliminate all moisture sites including leaky pipes and clogged drains
- Store firewood about 20 feet away from the house
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly and sealed receptacles
- Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around the basement foundation and windows
- Seal cracks and crevices outside of the home including areas where utilities and pipes enter
Remember we are only 60 days away from the beginning of fall like weather in our area. So prepare your home ahead of time to avoid these unwanted guests coming for a long winter visit. We at Southern Pest Control have trained professionals to help you keep these pests out of your home. Call our friendly staff at 800 527-9832 to set up a time for us to come by and inspect your home prior to this fall season. We also can help you remove animals, like squirrels and raccoons that attempt to take refuge in your attic when fall arrives