The gnats that we are normally referring to are the fungus gnats are small non biting insects that are drawn to wet, rotten organic matter where they lay their eggs and soon hatch into larvae. They are relatively harmless creatures, but their incessant swarming is annoying enough to drive even the toughest of gardeners out of their backyards.
Like mosquitoes, gnats can be difficult to control, because the problem may go beyond your property line. It’s hard to deal with any insect in your own yard if they’re flying in from a nearby lake or farm, where we live we seem to be overrun by them in the hottest part of the summer.
Here are some steps you can take to minimize this problem this Summer.
- Keep your garden free of mold, fungus, and rotting plant debris. Pay attention to shady areas with poor air circulation. Put your compost pile as far from the house as you can, cover your trash cans, and keep fallen debris cleaned up.
- Rake or turn your mulch to allow sodden, moldy layers to dry out.
- Avoid overwatering, and allow enough time between waterings for the top layer of soil to dry out.
- Water in the morning to avoid overnight fungal growth.
- Make sure you have no standing water in gutters, drainage areas, or low spots.
- Keep birdbaths and water features clean.
- Use sodium light bulbs in outdoor areas to reduce attraction at night
We at Southern Pest Control hope this information was helpful. We offer an affordable gnat reduction service for anyone in the Gulf Coast Region that is having gnat problems. We have been serving our region for over 37 years with quality affordable pest control. Please call us at 800 527-9832 to speak to one of our friendly knowledgeable pest control experts. Please visit our website at www.southernpestcontrol.biz to learn more about us and the services we offer.
Need Pest Control Services?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.